Nelson Fernandez: Creative Director and Designer
I've had the privilege of working in house at multiple startups and fortune 500 companies, along with a wide variety of clients designing complex web applications, websites, ads, packaging, mobile sites, mobile apps, e-commerce sites, landing pages, email campaigns, direct mail campaigns, marketing collateral and more.
Summary of qualifications
- Build and maintain visual branding for a wide range of design needs
- Concept and develop multi-dimensional integrated campaigns across digital, print, and video
- Lead projects through execution and develop digital/social content to drive lead generation
- Facilitate team communication and creative development to deliver highly impactful designs
- Synthesize emerging trends and insights to optimize consumer impact and engagement
- Cultivate cross functional relationships with staff, agency partners, and key stakeholders
- Creative expert on social and digital creative best practices
Propeller Health (A Subsidiary of ResMed Inc.)
Design Director • (May 2015 - current)
San Francisco, CA / Madison, WI / San Diego, CA
Lead all aspects of visual design and marketing campaign development to engage consumers across marketing channels and multi-touchpoint integrated campaigns.
- Mentor and manage the design team across creative and visual design, and liaise with partners, agencies, and freelancers while developing visual, UI, and UX.
- Maintain visual brand consistency throughout design, visuals, PR, and branding.
- Work closely with user research and user testing to define the Propeller Experience through communications, products, services, and experience.
- Collaborated with agency partner to spearhead the company rebranding.
- Repositioned the company from a small startup to a leader in med tech.
- Designed B2B and B2C collateral to support sales and partner programs.
- Used Marketo and Braze to create email drip campaigns to improve patient user experience and clinician user experience.
- Designed customized email and direct mail enrollment campaigns for partners including Express Scripts, Dignity Health, and Walgreens.
- Worked with internal events team and outside vendors to design booth displays, videos, collateral, and swag for conferences and events.
- Created an enrollment flow from the landing page, to enrollment, medication selection, and user acquisition which enabled DTC patient enrollment.
- Comply with HIPPA constraints, and specialize in data privacy and secure data transfer methods in conjunction with patient health information.
- Liaised with executives to craft and design pitch decks for sales fundraising. Led to company acquisition by RESMED.
- Established an asset library with a visual design styleguide, messaging, icons, photography, UI.
Gannett Company Inc. - USA Today 10best
Travel Media Group
Lead Visual and UI Designer • (January 2013 - April 2015)
San Francisco, CA / Greenville, SC / McLean, VA
Chaired all aspects of copy and visual design across a full range of marketing interfaces.
- Consulted on visual design, UI design, UX design, and front-end HTML / CSS development for Gannett properties including USA Today 10Best, Tripology.com.
- Redesigned Tripology.com and of 10best.com to responsive designs.
Lead Visual and UI Designer • (May 2012 - Jan 2013)
San Francisco, CA / NYC
Spearheaded visual, web, UI and front end development for Travora Properties.
- Designed the visuals and user interface for the Travora iPhone app.
- Led the art direction of Travora commercial, and created online ads, interactive PDFs, email newsletters, and marketing mock-ups for partner programs with large brands including Uber, Cadillac, Jetsetter, and United Airlines.
IODA (a subsidiary of Sony Music)
Creative Director • (May 2007- April 2012)
San Francisco, CA
Collaborated with executive team to lead the redesign of IODA’s brand identity.
- Managed a team of three to redefine brand narrative and visuals, and execute this concept across business units to ensure consistent branding across channels.
- Consistently developed the most successful online and print campaigns for SXSW annual campaigns.
- Enabled the collection of thousands of targeted emails, drew in thousands of attendees at events, and led to sponsorships from major tech and music organizations which increased brand recognition.
- Expanded social media presence and increased targeted email lists by re-branding and marketing a variety of IODA promotional properties.
Leadclick / Eadvertising (a division of the First American Corporation)
Lead Web Designer / Graphic Designer • (Feb 2005- May 2007)
San Francisco, CA
Created full scale online advertising and marketing campaigns including websites (design and front end web development), landing pages, banners, and email creatives.
- Worked in a collaborative environment to deliver compelling marketing campaigns in the consumer products space according to product/client needs.
Lead Web Designer / Graphic Designer • (June 1999 - Feb 2005)
Created, designed and maintained company e-commerce website, and managed project lifecycle from initial design and conception through completion.
- Worked with design team to develop and deliver engaging, end-to-end user experiences through online and print advertising.
- Developed and designed multiple online and print marketing campaigns to increase event awareness and drive ticket sales.
- Campaigns led to sold out shows at San Francisco venues including the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, Regency Ballroom, and the Concourse Executive Center.
University of California Santa Cruz
(1995 - 1999) • Santa Cruz, CA. BA Psychology
Conferences / Seminars / Courses
- + Multimedia Studies Program: Web Design (SFSU College of Extended Learning)
- + Responsive Design & Developement (Zurb)
- + UX Design (General Assembly - Certificate Program)
- + UI Design (Web Visions)
- + HTML5 (Web Visions)
- + CSS3 (Web Visions)
- + Web Typography (Future of Web Design)
- + Mobile UX Design (Web Visions)
- + Visual Personality on the Web (Future of Web Design)
- + WordPress (Web Visions)
- + Visual Design
- + User Interface Design
- + User Experience Design
- + Responsive Design
- + Front-end Web Development (HTML5, CSS3)
- + Information Architecture
- + Graphic Design
- + Illustration
- + UX Design
- + Mobile UX Design
- + UI Design
- + Adobe Creative Suite
- + Adobe Photoshop
- + Adobe Illustrator
- + Adobe Dreamweaver
- + Adobe Indesign
- + Adobe Acrobat
- + InVision Web and Mobile Prototyping
- + HTML5
- + CSS3
- + SASS
- + Wordpress
- + Asana
- + Github
- + JIRA
- + Braze
- + Marketo
- + Agile Process